My last post said to check back in four years…well, its been a little over 2 years but we have an update.
Previously, I said I had flattened the top. I had…to some extent. A couple weeks ago, I finally…no really this time…finally got it flat. There’s on spot that is a hair low, but I’m not about to take the entire bench top down to make it flat. I’ll live with the small depression.
Still no leg vise, but it’s coming. I’ve had the wood for the chop for several years and I got a wooden screw this week. I’ve got a couple of little projects to finish then the leg vise is next.
I will eventually replace this bench, but for now it will do what I need.
- If I laminate the next top, I will use biscuits to line up the top edge so I can get it flatter much quicker
- I will pay attention to the grain direction when I laminate the top. I didn’t on the current top and the top has several spots with tearout from the flattening
- I will pay more attention to the front of the top to ensure it and the front legs are parallel and square to the top. It’s not mandatory but it sure will make it nice.
- I will make it slightly wider. Current top is about 19″ and the next one will be 22″ or so.
- I will make it as long as I can to fit in the space I have. Current top is about 7′ long which is plenty good, but more would be better.